Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Games

One of my friends will tell you I am not exactly a "sports buff", however, when the Olympics come around, I am suddenly aware of athletes, stats, trivia and scoring standards - much to the dismay of those who have followed it all for the last four years. (Truthfully, I pick this up mostly from my other friends who are not fair-weather sports enthusiasts.) I love to see gymnastics, swimming and track the best. I can't tell you how extraordinarily patriotic I feel that athlete stands up and claims a medal - really, I love that he/she is there competing. I love watching people push themselves to the very tip-top of their dreams and goals. I love watching what the human body can do with an indomitable spirit and sense of national pride. This series of games has been pretty super.
The fun is also in the host country's ceremony and culture. We get to peak into a far-away land for a wee bit. Having been in China this summer for little visit, my level of connection is just a bit higher too.
I am aware I am not the only one who may love the Olympics, but I just wanted to join the club for awhile.

No comments: