Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ireland - Day six


Today's post is all about Dublin!
Did you know that Dublin got its name two Gaelic words: 'dubh' meaning 'black' and 'linn' means 'pool' (or 'mire') - Black Pool? Excellent marketing, if you ask me! Seriously, it's a very nice city with very lousy drivers...welcome to Europe.
Did you know that Dublin has a whole church named after me? Technically, the church predates me by a couple hundred years, but I was still tickled to see a giant church with a giant red door with a giant reputation for serving the underprivileged.
Did you know that there is colorful statue of Oscar Wilde at Merrion Square?
Did you know that Ireland has only two spoon sizes: tiny and giant?
Did you know that I had 15 minutes of fame while in Ireland? Actually, it was 15 seconds...and it was just the news...and only the people traveling with me even knew about my 15 seconds. I will take what I can get.
Did you know that Dublin is lovely at sunset?
Other things I recommend in Dublin: Trinity College, Book of Kells, National Gallery, St. Stephen's Green, prayer service at St. Patrick's, Temple Bar and singing tour bus drivers.

Things I don't recommend in Dublin: driving, eating, staying longer than a day or two (spend your time in the countryside...still wouldn't recommend driving or eating there either).

No comments: