Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The ones you love

For Easter, I went to see my mom and she and I together went to see my grandparents (a lot of driving). My grandfather turned 94 on March 21; grandma turns 90 this September. Imagine how much life you live in 90+ years. These two people are amazing examples of positive thinking and working hard every single day. They are faithful and good. They are careful and smart. They love learning and books - they wrote a few about their own lives and other family members.

My mom and I made Belgium waffles with whipped cream and fresh strawberries for my grandpa's birthday dinner and he and grandma were in heaven (Meals on Wheels is not known for tasty cuisine). My grandfather told stories about things he saw and did in Europe during World War Two - about "buzzing" the Eiffel Tower, "hitchhiking" at the Munich airport to get to conference in Paris and desperately trying to get home (for six months) once the war ended. I wish I had a tape recorder in my pocket and could have recorded every precious word.

I felt grateful to them for their examples. I felt happy to be with them. I felt loved when I was with them.

1 comment:

Melissa C said...

That's such an incredible opportunity. I wish I had appreciated the wisdom my grandparents had when I was younger and around them more and they were still alive.

Sure love ya!